Supervisor, Employment & Social Services (Municipality of Chatham-Kent)
The Municipality of Chatham-Kent has an opening for a temporary full-time Supervisor, Employment & Social Services in the Employment & Social Services division. This position is for a period up to December 2024.
The Supervisor, Employment & Social Services provides supervision, direction, and guidance to a team of Case Managers to ensure a person-centered approach to the effective delivery of the Ontario Works Program, Homeless Prevention Program, as well as other employment and stability support programmes.
- Demonstrate Chatham-Kent’s core values and competencies
- Lead a team in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment
- Analyze and interpret legislation and regulations
- Provide support and guidance to a team of Case Managers and Resource staff covering all programs including Ontario Works, Homeless Prevention Program and Employment, both on and off-site, to ensure effective, person-centered service delivery
- Provide support to the emergency shelter – working on-call 24 hour shifts on weekends and evenings - approximately 4-5 weeks a year
- Participate in emergency preparation and response as required
- Collaborate with other Employment and Social Service Management Team members, internal, and external partners, to ensure co-ordination of services
- Assist in designing and implementing proposals for both the funding and delivery of new stability support programming
- Provide case management services for complex/contentious files
- Develop and deliver orientation and ongoing training to ensure knowledge of policies, procedures and applicable legislation are current and conducive to effective case management
- Participate in human resources management responsibilities including recruitment, training, mentorship, conflict resolution, and performance management
- Assist in developing local policy and procedures and evaluating effectiveness of the programs/policies
- Maintain and evaluate statistics for various Employment and Social Services Programs to determine program/initiative viability, staffing levels, and effectiveness of the program/initiative in meeting outcome expectations
- Assist in developing the budget for the delivery of Ontario Works Assistance and other programs, which includes monitoring and exercising control over the spending of approximately 45 million annually
- Respond to inquiries/concerns from the public, other levels of government and community agencies
- Assist in completing service contracts for the Ministry as well as quarterly and annual reports
- Represent the Municipality on groups and/or boards, both internal and external
- Assist in the development and implementation of the department's business plan
- Prepare documentation for submission to Court, Internal Appeals and Submissions to the Social Benefits Tribunal
- Ensure adherence to legislation such as Employment Standards Act, Ontario Health and Safety Act, Human Rights Code, and corporate policies
Work environment/hours of work
- University degree in social sciences or social work, with two (2) to four (4) years of related experience
- Experience in direct delivery of social service (i.e., Ontario Works) programs
- Experience with Ontario Works program requirements including income/employment support/shelter stability/stability supports and/or social services
- Experience developing and implementing policies and procedures and evaluating effectiveness
- Knowledge of Ontario Works Act, Ontario Disability Support Program, Residential Tenancies Act, and other related legislations/regulations
- Supervisory experience
- Knowledge of resources and services available through community partners in Chatham-Kent
- Experience managing an operating budget for delivery of Ontario Works assistance and other programs
- Experience managing crisis and emergency situations
- Demonstrated effective customer service skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships with clients, the general public, and staff
- Experience with maintaining and evaluating related statistics, preferably in an Ontario Works environment
- Working knowledge of SAMS (Social Assistance Management System), Homeless Individuals and Families Information System (HIFIS), Skype for business, SharePoint (or other similar programs)
- Strong computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) (or similar software programs)
- This position works weekday hours, with occasional evening hours
- This position has been designated as eligible to work remotely at least part-time in coordination with other team members ensuring adequate in office coverage
The Municipality of Chatham-Kent no longer requires a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. Although it is not mandatory to be vaccinated, it is highly encouraged.
Driver’s license/vehicle requirements
Because this position would be required to travel, a valid Province of Ontario driver's license with a reliable motor vehicle is necessary.
Successful candidates will be required to complete a background check prior to commencement of employment. A background check may include the following: education/certification verification and employment reference check. Because of the environment this position will be working in, the successful candidate will be required to furnish an original Police Information Search (criminal reference check) (working with vulnerable persons) prior to commencement of employment; you must be 18 years of age or older to obtain a vulnerable police check.
Essential physical and/or safety requirements
- Sitting: frequent sitting in a chair (working at a desk, sitting during a meeting, driving)
- Hands: frequent mousing (writing reports, using a computer and mouse, daily correspondence, data entry and notes)
This temporary full-time position will receive 15% in lieu of benefits (which includes health & dental benefits, statutory & non-statutory holidays, and non-enrolment in OMERS) and 4% vacation pay. Where a permanent employee is receiving benefits and is the successful candidate for a temporary vacancy, benefits will remain as per the policy manual.
Applying for this opportunity
Resumes and cover letters must be received by 11:59pm (EST)
on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
. To apply, please visit: www.ckcareers.ca
The Municipality of Chatham-Kent is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fair and accessible employment practices that attract and retain talented employees in a workplace that is inclusive, supportive, and reflective of the diverse community we serve.
Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources & Organizational Development (HROD) at 519-360-1998. Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and will be used strictly for the purpose of candidate selection.