Director, Housing Operations (York Region)
ABOUT YORK REGION
The Regional Municipality of York stretches north from Toronto to Lake Simcoe. York Region’s diversity is evident in their nine local municipalities, geography, economic development and population. York Region is committed to strong, caring, safe communities by working together to serve our thriving communities, today and tomorrow.
PROGRESSIVE. COLLABORATIVE. ACCOUNTABLE.
Reporting to the General Manager, Housing Services, the Director, Housing Operations will provide leadership and oversight of property management, tenant administration and support services for York Region’s housing corporation, Housing York Inc. (HYI). Working collaboratively with the Service Manager, HYI operates 37 housing properties across York Region, offering nearly 2,800 market rent and subsidized housing units for more than 4,000 tenants.
DRAW ON YOUR PASSION. MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Drive results with your natural leadership skills, creating and guiding a team culture of engagement, continuous improvement, collaboration and high performance, promoting positive tenant relations and community relationships and client-centric property services. Deliver on targets and priorities to maximize unit occupancy, rent collection and procurement.
- Lead the development of HYI’s business plan, establish goals, objectives, priorities and KPIs, and direct the action plan for achieving results. Implement regular evaluation of targets and outcomes, taking corrective action when necessary and regularly reporting on progress.
- Collaborate with the Housing Services leadership, as that relates to the Service Manager role, to support housing outcomes identified by the 10-year Housing and Homelessness Plan.
- Work closely with the Asset Management team to schedule/manage capital projects and develop plans that balance community/tenant needs with fiscal and legal responsibilities.
- Apply high standards of maintenance in all HYI communities; establish preventive maintenance/inspection plans to achieve the best value for money and monitor compliance with standards, legislation and policies. Consistently monitor expenditures, respond to emergency maintenance issues and reallocate resources and priorities to stay within budget.
- Manage operations in accordance with legislation, policies and procedures, identifying opportunities for continuous improvement and responding to audits and reviews with agility. Maintain and update as necessary business continuity, fire safety, and on-call plans/strategies to respond to emergency situations.
- Maintain and enhance partnerships with other community housing providers, sector organizations and community agencies, developing a shared understanding of best practices and developing and delivering services in a cost-efficient and effective manner.
- Research, prepare, and present reports to Senior Management, Council, and committees. Address politically sensitive issues and respond rapidly and appropriately. Chair and participate in committees, meetings, task forces, work groups and special projects, within and outside the Region.
INCLUSIVE AND DIVERSE WORKSPACE / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- University degree in Urban Studies, Social Sciences, Business Administration, or related field.
- 8+ years of experience in property operations, including budget preparation, strategic planning, program and policy development and planning, change management strategies and human resource management including 3+ years in senior leadership. Experience in social housing property management operations is desirable.
- An understanding of provincial housing programs and legislation, municipal and Regional government structure, industry standards, housing issues and communities served.
- Strong political acumen and the ability to negotiate, mediate, facilitate and deliver presentations that effectively communicate complex information to varied audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with a broad spectrum of internal and external stakeholders, foster collaborative working relationships and work simultaneously and effectively as a team leader and player.
- Initiate and engage with your team, partners and communities to build an accessible, diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace.
Creating an environment which recognizes and celebrates all dimensions of diversity and inclusivity. York Region is an equal opportunity employer and will accommodate individuals with disabilities through each stage of the recruitment and selection process based on the Ontario Human Rights Code.
EMPLOYER OF CHOICE
We're consistently recognized as an employer of choice in Canada. In 2022, York Region was named one of Canada's Best Employers by Forbes. In 2020, the Region was selected as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers, a Top Employer for Young People in Canada, one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. These awards by Mediacorp Canada Inc, the country’s largest publisher of quality employment-related periodicals, confirm what our dedicated staff have always known: York Region is not only a great place to live, it's a great place to work.
We're progressive and collaborative, with a clear, long-term vision. We value employees' contributions and inspire excellence. We're driven by a desire to help shape and serve the growing communities in which we live and work.
Email your resume and cover letter in confidence by April 5, 2023
Patrick Rowan, Partner | Feldman Daxon Partners