Financial Administration Officer, Childcare & Early Years Services (City of Kingston)Job Number: J0123-0323
Regular (permanent), Full-time
Hours of Work:
Rate of Pay:
$29.39 - $36.64/Hour
Closing Date: Sunday, March 19, 2023
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members *2SLGBTQ+ communities, to apply.
Reporting to the Manager, Social Services and Early Years, the Financial Administration Officer (Childcare and Early Years Services) is responsible for completing childcare, early years, and homemaking program payments, contract administration, data management and reporting.
The Financial Administration Officer (Childcare and Early Years Services) also assist with operational reviews of childcare, early years, and homemaking service providers, participate in the development and/or revision of childcare, early years, and homemaking program policies, collect and collate related statistical data and assist in responding to requests for related programs.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Track and manage service provider files to determine eligibility for funding opportunities and/or subsidies
- Stay abreast of legislative, regulation and local policy changes as they relate to the childcare, early years, and homemaking programs funding calculations and financial reporting to ensure the City, and service providers are in compliance and drawing on all available funding sources
- Maintain current and comprehensive knowledge including applicable legislation and guidelines related to childcare, early years, and homemaking programs, its regulations and local policies related to funding calculations, financial reporting, and related administration
- Accountable for the receipt, review, verification and calculation of funding and subsidy entitlements, and cost sharing adjustments as set by the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health
- Review, track, and process monthly subsidy/funding payments to service providers
- Review and reconcile monthly funding payments and payment requests
- Conduct quarterly service provider eligibility reviews
- Identity and adjust payments and overpayments to service providers
- Responsible to provide financial and statistical data collecting/reporting functions to meet provincial and municipal requirements
- Responsible for the administration and maintenance of various internal and external programs and databases used to track payments, monitor status and ensure compliance
- Regularly respond to childcare, early years, and homemaking financial and program management related inquiries from staff, management, and service providers (in person, by email and phone)
- Responsible for the completion of municipal and provincial reporting as required
- Know and practice appropriate protection of privacy disclosures and information access practices per corporate policy and Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA)
- Reconcile payment requests, submit to the Ministry, and reconcile payments as received
- Participate in staff meetings and working groups
- Track and follow up on childcare and early years and homemaking service provider and Ministry requirements
- Know and observe Occupational Health and Safety regulation and local security policies in the performance of all duties
- Participate in operational reviews of childcare and early years and homemaking service providers
- Research and collect data related to the provincial childcare and early years and homemaking programs
- Perform other duties in the event of a peacetime emergency as set forth in the Community Development Service Group Emergency Response Plan
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- 3-year diploma in accounting and/or business administration or related program
- 2 years’ experience in financial administration with legislation and/or policy interpretation responsibilities
- Must demonstrate Corporate Competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Ability to communicate effectively with service providers and various levels of government
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage difficult interactions
- Intermediate mathematics/accounting skills
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and mathematical skills, including ability to identify and resolve problems
- Strong organization and administration skills; ability to manage a high workload and meet deadlines
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Skills (Word, Excel, and Access)
- Knowledge of the Transfer Payment Ontario (TPON) System
- Ability to interpret legislation and related policies
- Knowledge of and Adherence to strict confidentiality requirements
- Municipal/provincial experience an asset
- Verbal French language skills an asset
- Required to obtain and maintain satisfactory criminal record check
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Please CLICK HERE to Apply