Housing Services Clerk (City of Hamilton)NUMBER OF VACANCIES:
This is for all temporary full-time vacancies that are available. Candidates will be considered from March 1, 2023 to August 31, 2023.
CUPE Local 5167 Inside
HOURS Of WORK:
35.00 per week
$29.085 - $31.614 per hour
*Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
Job Description ID #:
Deadline: March 22, 2023
– As a condition of employment you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated or provide proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer prior to your start date. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future vaccine policy requirements as an ongoing condition of employment at the City of Hamilton.
The Healthy & Safe Communities Department is committed to its people and is dedicated to building a strong and healthy community. We are passionate about making a difference and are recognized for our excellence. We offer a respectful and supportive workplace that provides life-long learning opportunities, leadership, innovation and performance excellence.
We are looking for high performing public servants who are interested in experiencing a challenging, rewarding, enjoyable, and fulfilling career. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to provide excellent client service in a respectful, courageous, empathetic, just and ethical manner. Your ability to set and achieve personal goals, professional goals and contribute to the goals of the organization will result in high job satisfaction.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reports to a Housing Services Supervisor or Manager, the Housing Services Clerk provides a range of administrative, clerical and financial business duties to support the operations of the Housing Services Division. The Housing Services Clerk provides direct service to clients to support their journey to stable, permanent housing. The Housing Services Clerk works with a minimum of supervision on multiple activities while ensuring deadlines are adhered to and established procedures followed.
- Performs office administration functions that include scheduling/arranging meetings, appointments and attending meetings to transcribe minutes. Creates and word processes a variety of forms, statements, legal documents (Court Orders and Directions, etc.), reports, proposals, pamphlets, PowerPoint presentations and other types of correspondence.
- Sorts and processes mail, maintains office filing system for confidential client files, records, correspondence and forms.
- Responds to enquiries at reception/phone (general inquiries/team line) and through email. Engages with individuals involved with the homelessness serving system, both via phone and in person to identify clients needs and triage to the appropriate internal/external support for resolution.
- Accepts applications for programs offered by Housing Services and processes Access to Housing, portable housing benefits and others.
- Calculates rent for rent supplement tenants and housing allowance tenants.
- Conducts annual reviews for eligibility for RGI assistance for households on Access to Housing Waitlist and Rent Supplement.
- Seeks guidance as needed from other colleagues/external partners providing support to the individual. Acts as a public relations liaison with the general public, participants, staff, and community agencies/organizations.
- Processes incoming and outgoing communications (verbal, written, electronic) by prioritizing and referring to the appropriate person in an efficient and timely manner.
- Escalates cases that require worker review; ensures referral is made in a timely manner.
- Updates and maintains distribution lists such as City of Hamilton agency contacts.
- Creates and maintains records such as attendance and vacation for Divisional staff; participant absence records.
- Creates, establishes and maintains a tracking and monitoring system for reports, data, contracts, log of assignments/directions/cancellations.
- Ensures timely processing of cheque requisitions, payment runs for vendors, expense claims and reviews of same for accuracy of descriptions and other variables e.g. account numbers, availability of funds to ensure procurement policies are followed.
- Performs cash handling duties including accepting payments while issuing receipts, petty cash and issues payments to vendors. Makes bank deposits.
- Performs data entry functions and tracks incoming and outgoing files using various computerized tracking and enquiry systems; generates computer printouts.
- Maintains input logs for manual cheques, prints and receives reports daily. Reconciles daily payments, records and maintains cheque inventory for ordering. Maintains security of all cheques and equipment related to cheque production.
- Reconciles and monitors recoveries from various Programs by reviewing PeopleSoft and follows up with staff/Management for any discrepancies. Prepares data for monthly submission to recover program monies from Ministry. Receives, records and inputs cheques received and reconciles in PeopleSoft.
- Reviews purchases made to ensure accuracy in transaction listings. Under the direction of Supervisor/Manager, investigates discrepancies and submits journal vouchers. Calculates and monitors outstanding arrears owing to the City of Hamilton as required.
- Populates/searches information in provincial computer databases (e.g. HIFIS, SAMS, MTO, CRA, MECA, SALIS, FCMS, FRO, MAVIS, IHS, TPON etc) scheduling tool, Outlook and Excel on computer system.
- Orders supplies and tracks inventory.
- Collects and compiles data/statistics
- Liaises with facilities, issues and follows up on work orders.
- Provides back up to other clerks within the Division.
- Assists in the training and development of new clerical staff and placement students.
- Conducts planning activities
- Coordinates and schedules travel accommodations, conferences and professional development
- Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety
- Performs other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job
- Demonstrated business office management and/or strong business office administrative skills acquired through relevant experience or a combination of administrative courses and relevant work experience.
- Previous experience or knowledge of Housing Services and Housing agencies/resources would be an asset.
- Must be proficient with intermediate experience in the use of Microsoft Office Suite products to include: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Demonstrated ability to input data at an intermediate level with a high degree of accuracy. Working knowledge of database software (experience with SAMS and scheduling software) would be an asset.
- Ability to excel in a fast paced work environment with a focus on customer service excellence. Strong problem solving skills with the ability to adapt to any situation. Highly developed customer service and interpersonal skills and proven ability to assist people in difficult situations.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Advanced keyboarding and data entry skills with ability to apply specialized technology and software e.g. Archibus, CESBAM, SAMS.
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple tasks with a variety of deadlines.
- Excellent people skills with an emphasis on customer service. Demonstrated ability to deal with difficult callers and display tact and professionalism when conversing with clients, supervisors and peers
- Excellent team work skills with the ability to work with teams effectively on site as well as offsite locations.
- Previous Accounting/Finance experience an asset. Demonstrated experience and familiarity with the City of Hamilton financial processes and procedures an asset.
- Proficiency in French language would be an asset.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants.
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.