Provincial-Federal Rent Relief for Small Businesses through the Ontario-Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program


April 24, 2020

The Provincial and federal governments have shared details on new provincial-federal rent relief for small businesses through the Ontario-Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program (OCECRA). 

The Province is committing $241 million through the new program, with the total amount of provincial-federal relief amounting to more than $900 million. The funding is aimed at helping to ensure small businesses are ready to reopen their doors when the emergency measures are lifted.

Key details:

  • The program will provide forgivable loans to eligible commercial property owners experiencing potential rent shortfalls because their small business tenants have been heavily impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.

  • The loans will cover 50 per cent of three monthly rent payments that are payable by eligible small business tenants who are experiencing financial hardship during April, May, and June. 

  • ​To receive the forgivable loan, property owners will be required to reduce the rental costs of small business tenants for April to June 2020 by at least 75 per cent and commit to a moratorium on evictions for three months. The small business tenant would cover the remainder, up to 25 per cent of the rent.

  • Impacted small business tenants are businesses paying less than $50,000 per month in rent and who have temporarily ceased operations or have experienced at least a 70 per cent drop in pre-COVID-19 revenues.

  • ​This support will also be available to non-profit and charitable organizations.


​Ontario's Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Steve Clark has also issued a letter to Canada's Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Ahmed Hussen encouraging the federal government to explore a rental relief program for residential tenants. 


More details