OMSSA Calling for Board Nominations
The Ontario Municipal Social Services Association (OMSSA) is inviting nominations for the Association’s Board of Directors.
Members will be elected to the Board at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Association for a two-year term of office. For the 2020-2022 term, there are three (3) vacancies
to be filled on the 10-member Board. This year’s AGM is being held in Toronto on Thursday, June 25, 2020.
Basic Eligibility Criteria and Conditions
- Directors must be at least 18 years old.
- Undischarged bankrupts are ineligible to serve as Directors.
- A Director is expected to commit the time required to perform board and committee duties. The minimum time commitment is 10-15 hours per month.
- Directors must fulfill the requirements and responsibilities of their position. For example, preparing for and attending board and committee meetings, upholding their fiduciary obligations and working cooperatively and respectfully with other board members. Directors must comply with legislation governing the corporation, the corporation’s by-laws and policies and other applicable rules.
- Directors will be required to sign a Declaration confirming their agreement to adhere to their fiduciary duties and board / corporate policies.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
The Board is seeking nominations that will reflect the diversity of the membership it serves, including: demographic, linguistic, economic, geographic, gender, cultural, ethnic, sectoral (i.e. housing and homelessness, children’s services, income security, and emergency services) and social characteristics of the Consolidated Municipal Service Managers (CMSMs) and District Social Services Administration Boards (DSSABs), as well as communities served by the organization.
The OMSSA Board of Directors will reflect a complimentary mix of skills, knowledge and expertise. The skills, knowledge and expertise that will be considered include (in no specific order):
- Sector specific (human services / municipal / DSSAB) knowledge and experience
- Housing and Homelessness *(Housing sector experience is preferred)
- Children’s services
- Income security
- Emergency services
- Strategic planning
- Critical thinking
- Business management
- Human resources management
- Government and government relations
- Political acumen
- Risk management
- Financial expertise
- Board and governance
- Public affairs and communications
- Demographic considerations
The Board requires all Board members to:
- commit and adhere to the vision, mission and core values of the organization;
- act with honesty and integrity;
- understand a Director’s role and fiduciary duties, and the role of the Board;
- think strategically;
- work as part of a team;
- communicate effectively;
- have or commit to acquire, financial literacy appropriate to OMSSA as a non-profit organization and the scope of OMSSA’s activities;
- be willing to devote the time and effort required to be an effective Board member, including attendance at Board orientation, Board retreats, Board meetings, committee meetings and association events;
- be free of conflicts that would impede a Director’s ability to fulfill his or her fiduciary duties; and,
- demonstrate the ability to recognize and manage specific conflicts of interest that arise from time to time.
A recent update to OMSSA’s by-laws (approved October 23, 2019) resulted in changes to our voting and “Lead” designation process. As of October 23, 2019, each member organization will have one designated Lead (“Delegate”). All other staff members of an OMSSA member organization are considered “Associate Members,” and retain full access to OMSSA member services and member pricing for paid services (workshops, conferences, webinars, job board postings, etc.).
Leads/Delegates or Associate Member who meets the above criteria are eligible to run for OMSSA’s Board of Directors, provided that they are nominated by:
Please consult the list below determine who the designated Lead / Delegate is for each of OMSSA’s 47 member organizations:
OMSSA Member Leads / Delegates (PDF)
the designated Lead / Delegate for their organization (if the nominee is an Associate Member)
a Lead / Delegate from another OMSSA member organization (if the nominee is the designated Lead / Delegate for their own organization)
Important Dates and Commitments
This year’s Annual General Meeting and Board elections will be held in Toronto, Ontario on Thursday, June 25, 2020,
in conjunction with a scheduled meeting of OMSSA’s Leadership Table.
All submissions must include the following:
Completed Nomination and Application form (as PDF attachment) signed by both the nominee and the nominator (digital signatures are acceptable and encouraged)
A brief biography or CV highlighting the nominee’s relevant professional experience
A photo (headshot) of the nominee (photos should be at least 500 KB in file size)
Nominations must be received on or before Friday, April 17, 2020 at 5 p.m.
Nominations can be submitted by email to email@example.com
to the attention of Dan McCormick, OMSSA President, with “OMSSA Board of Directors Nomination
” in the subject line.
Download the Fillable Nomination Form
We look forward to and appreciate hearing from those seeking the opportunity to volunteer on behalf of your Association. Should you have any questions, please contact Caitlin Lapeña