Temporary Full Time Manager of Ontario Works and Children’s Services (County of Huron)
The Manager of Ontario Works and Children’s Services works in collaboration with the Director of Social and Property Services to ensure the management, direction and overall performance of the division’s programs offered are in accordance with applicable legislation and regulations. The Manager of Ontario Works and Children’s Services ensures the program delivery through planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Work is achieved through management and coordination of program staff.
The Manager of Ontario Works and Children’s Services is a member of the Social and Property Services management team which is responsible for strategic and operational planning, budgeting, establishing policy, resolving human resource issues and preparing and presenting reports to County Council.
The Manager of Ontario Works and Children’s Services fosters innovation and learning, best practices and efficiency throughout the department. The position is the system manager for the Ministry of Education, with nine child care centres and EarlyOn programming.
The Manager of Ontario Works and Children’s Services represents the Social and Property Services Department and the County of Huron, and acts as a resource to colleagues, peers, community groups and agencies.
This contract could last up to 18 months and is location in Clinton, Ontario.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Strong skills in leadership within an interdisciplinary team, program and project planning and evaluation, innovation, communication, team building, personnel management, collaboration, budgeting and financial management, critical thinking.
- Ensure the provision of programs and services according to provincial legislation, Ontario Works and Children’s Services and County policies and procedures.
- Works with community stakeholders to bring about social change and improve quality of life as related to poverty and child development.
- Participate as an active member of the Social and Property Services management team.
- Provide direct supervision to the Ontario Works Supervisor and the Children’s Services Supervisor in each division, including regular performance reviews.
- Provide input to the Director of Social and Property Services on the annual budget for the assigned division.
- Administer / monitor the approved budgets for the assigned division.
- Ensure completion, accuracy and compliance with ministry statistical and financial reporting.
- Research, develop and write proposals to meet the requirements of new provincial ministry initiatives.
- Liaise and collaborate with other County departments, provincial ministries, local agencies, professionals and community.
- Provide leadership to the team as they plan, implement and evaluated assigned programs and services.
- Possess a sound knowledge of Department programs to ensure coordination of division programs with other Social and Property Service programs.
- Participate in recruitment and ensure appropriate orientation for new staff, students and volunteers.
- Identify staff training needs and plan for professional development and continuing education. Facilitate training sessions as required.
- When necessary, intervene or arbitrate in crisis / conflict situations between staff and program participants.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 4 year Bachelor Degree in Social Services or related field.
- 6 years related experience – minimum 2 years working in related field and 4 years management.
- Access to reliable transportation
- Negative/Clear Vulnerable Sector Check
- Strong skills in leadership, program planning and evaluation, innovation, communication, team building, personnel management, collaboration, budgeting and financial management and critical thinking.
- Excellent strategic planning, analytical, problem solving, and investigative skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral.
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge and experience with computer information systems.
This position is a grade 16 on our 2019 non-union wage grid at $49.80 – 55.78 per hour.
Please forward a cover letter and resume by 4:30 pm September 30th, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To be considered for this position, please ensure your:
- Email subject line is “2019 Manager – Ontario Works/Children Service”
- The cover letter is a maximum of one page long
- Cover letter and resume are saved together in one pdf file
- The pdf file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. “Jane Smith.pdf”)
By submitting your personal information to the County of Huron, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes. Information is collected solely for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The County of Huron is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.