Executive Director (Park Lawn Preschool)
Park Lawn Preschool Inc. is a non-profit organization providing high quality licensed care for children. It offers developmentally appropriate programming to meet the diverse experiences, backgrounds, abilities and needs of all children. These qualities shall be nurtured in a healthy and safe environment in which the child can develop physically, socially, emotionally and intellectually. Park Lawn believes in play-based learning as the main vehicle through which children come to understand themselves, others and the world. It operates three non-profit childcare centres located in three locations in Etobicoke, serving approximately 400 children with 80 staff members. It was founded in 1977.
At its three sites (Humber Bay Child Care Centre, Park Lawn Preschool and PLP Early Learning Centre at St. Mark), Park Lawn offers a play-based, emergent curriculum for children ages 18 months to 12 years of age. The focus is to support children in being life-long learners, by providing them a stimulating early learning and care experience that inspires their natural curiosity and energy. Park Lawn encourages children to interact and communicate in a positive way and support their abilities to self-regulate.
Until now the organizational structure had two leaders reporting to the Board of Directors: a Financial Manager and an Operations Manager, with the former long-time President, Ruth Cairns, also engaging significantly in the oversight of operations. The Board is now moving to a one-leader structure and is hiring an Executive Director (ED). Reporting to the Board, this will be the organization’s first ED.
Park Lawn Preschool is seeking an Executive Director
The Executive Director will be the face of Park Lawn Preschool (PLP). This position provides: strategic leadership, management and operational leadership for the organization; acts as the ambassador for PLP; collaborates with the Board of Directors, Managers and Supervisors to execute Park Lawn’s mission, vision and values. The Executive Director represents the organization to the greater community to develop further partnerships, advocate objectives and programing initiatives.
What You Bring to Park Lawn Preschool:
Skills and Abilities
- Minimum 7 years’ experience working in a management position in like-sized non-profit organization (childcare management an asset)
- Multi-site organizational experience an asset
- Strong business acumen
- Demonstrated passion for and knowledge of services for children and families such as childcare and early child development
- Strategic thinker, sets priorities, and plans to achieve goals coupled with the ability to roll up sleeves and execute
- A change agent but one who respects the history and the staff knowledge; sensitive to how to successfully implement change
- Proven ability to lead, motivate and collaborate with staff
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit and childcare sectors
- Strong interpersonal skills, capable of creating respectful, nurturing and empowering relationships and building a cohesive team. Understands the importance of being visible at all of PLPs sites.
- Experience with successfully addressing and promoting a positive mental health environment amongst staff
- Ability to navigate labour relations
- Experience in responding to/collaborating with a volunteer Board of Directors
- Demonstrate sound judgement and excellent communication skills (written, verbal)
- Understanding of finances and budget management skills
- Knowledge of Public Health and other relevant legislation
- Possesses a valid Ontario Driver’s License and access to a vehicle for the purposes of business travel
The successful candidate will be asked to provide:
- Bachelor’s Degree in social science or equivalent experience (Degree or Diploma in Early Childhood Education an asset)
- Valid Standard First-Aid and Level “C” CPR Certificate (an asset)
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Ontario Human Rights Code, Child Care and Early Years Act 2014, Occupational Health and Safety Act 1990, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005, and Employment Standards Act 2000.
What Park Lawn Preschool offers you in return:
- Proof of a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Meet Toronto Public Health criteria including up-to-date immunizations
- Competitive salary ($90,000 - $120,000)
- Comprehensive benefits package
This search is being conducted on behalf of PLP by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To submit your application by November 28, 2022, please visit http://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/.
Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents. Issues with applying? Please email email@example.com
For more information about the position, please contact Anaheet Sethna at firstname.lastname@example.org
If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we’d be pleased to connect with them.