Eviction Prevention Worker (YWCA Toronto)
Internal and External Job Posting
Eviction Prevention Worker
JOB ID: HADM0583
: Full-Time, Contract
35 hours per week (Occasional evening and weekend work may be required)
$29.83 per hour
80 Woodlawn Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M4T 1C1
Contract Start Date:
Contract End Date:
May 15, 2022
Monday, November 29, 2021
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as Trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Eviction Prevention Worker is responsible for providing a full range of resources and supports which includes the development, implementation and evaluation of eviction prevention strategies and implements procedures as outlined by the YWCA Toronto Eviction Prevention Policies and Procedures and in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act to assist tenants in understanding their rights and responsibilities.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO - HOUSING ADMINISTRATION
YWCA Toronto offers a range of housing options for single women and women-led households, including permanent housing at a variety of locations. Individual and group support assists residents to maintain their housing. On site housing support services provide education on the rights and responsibilities of tenancy, conflict mediation and resolution, crisis prevention and intervention and referrals. Supports are intended to assist women to develop skills to live independently. Staff have expertise in numerous areas (i.e. job readiness, advocacy, parenting, effects of violence on women and their children), and are available to work with women to identify barriers in their lives.
- Responsible for completing and serving required forms (e.g. N4 and L1) in accordance with YWCA Toronto Eviction Prevention Policies and Procedures, the Residential Tenancies Act , and the Housing Services Act within the required timelines;
- Documents all communication and forms issued into tenant file both electronic and hard copy;
- Monitors, maintains and documents payment plans and mediated agreements in accordance with YWCA Toronto Eviction Prevention Policies and Procedures and Landlord Tenant Board;
- Receives and processes behavioral documentation from all permanent housing sites, in consultation with the Manager of Housing Administration liaisons with YWCA Toronto legal counsel on files;
- In conjunction with the Manager of Housing Administration, files legal documents at the Landlord Tenant Board, Sheriff Enforcement Office;
- Acts as the Agent for the Landlord at Landlord Tenant Board and attends hearing as required;
- Ensures tenant receive legal documentation of all legal processes in accordance with Landlord Tenant Board.
- Certified Paralegal with 1 to 3 years working with vulnerable women in a non-profit setting is required;
- In-depth knowledge of an academic or technical discipline normally acquired through the completion of a relevant undergraduate degree (examples: social work, psychology, and sociology) (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with the Residential Tenancies Act Social Housing Reform Act and Ontario Human Rights Code;
- Demonstrated experience acting as an agent of the Landlord at Landlord Tenant Board;
- Ability to work with an anti-oppression and feminist framework;
- Experience working with diverse individuals and groups and the ability to deliver culturally sensitive services;
- Communication approach that is flexible, de-escalates, teaches conflict resolution and is focused on success;
- Basic accounting practices required;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure with competing demands;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Violence against Women issues;
- Proven experience working independently, developing and facilitating groups;
- Working knowledge and understanding of resources in the community for women;
- Ability to maintain a positive approach and a professional manner at all times;
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in the planning and delivery of services;
- Computer skills to include: Windows, Excel, Non-profit housing property management software;
- Excellent oral and written communication;
- Knowledge of a second language an asset.
Some travelling between program sites and to Landlord Tenant Board is required.
In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccination series by October 30, 2021. As a condition of hire, new staff will be required to submit proof of vaccination prior to their first day of work. The YWCA will consider written requests for accommodation under the Human Rights Code on a case by case basis and will accommodate those individuals who are legally entitled to accommodation.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit cover letter and résumé to
: Tara Jewer, Manager of Housing Administration, Housing and Support at email@example.com
. Please quote JOB ID number HADM0583 and your name in the subject line.
A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is not within the Bargaining Unit.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting date: November 17, 2021