Staff Development & Training Program Advisor (Region of Halton)
Department: Social & Community Services
Division/Location: Employment & Social Services
Position: Staff Development & Training Program Advisor
Note: At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve.
This is a temporary full time position working 35 hours per week for up to twenty (20) months.
Halton Region serves more than 595,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to delivering high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work.
We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions.
You make a positive difference in people’s lives because you provide high quality customer centered services. You operate within a highly ethical environment and will be accountable for going the extra mile, listening to your customers, creatively meeting needs and always being respectful to those you serve. As a result, you will be part of a qualified and strategic team recognized widely for caring, excellence, integrity, inclusiveness and flexibility.
Reporting to the Manager Social Services, this position requires the ability to assess and address staffs’ developmental needs through research, and the creation and implementation of divisional policies and training.
The successful candidate will have a University Degree in a Human Services related field or Adult Learning with a minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in Human Services preferably within a unionized environment. A Master’s degree in Adult Education or equivalent experience in staff and policy development will be considered an asset. The incumbent will have demonstrated experience with the development of municipal policies and a strong understanding and practical application of relevant Human Services legislation. This position requires an understanding of relevant legislation related to the Ministry of Community & Social Services, Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development, including the Ontario Works Act, and Ontario Disability Support Program Act. Previous experience in completing needs/gap analysis, developing training plans, analyzing data and metrics and calculating various forms of data and performance indicators into a consistent format and targets for evaluation is required. The successful candidate will have excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as facilitation skills. In depth knowledge of adult learning and education principles and applications is required. Excellent technological skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, Social Assistant Management System (SAMS) and Social Assistance Legacy Information System (SALIS) is preferred.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Records Check, by the first day of employment. Travel will be required, incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license, by their first day of employment.
In support of the Region’s commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, the Region has a vaccination requirement for all employees.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and able to provide proof of vaccination. Fully vaccinated is defined as having received the completed series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine, as recommended by the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health and having received the final dose at least 14 days before your employment start date.
The candidate will be asked to provide the Region with proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. Acceptable proof is a Ministry of Health Dose Administration Receipt (or such other proof of vaccination that the Province of Ontario sanctions). This can be obtained through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/
The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Code, a request for accommodation can be requested and written proof satisfactory to the Region will be required.
Posted: November 16, 2021
- Perform in-depth needs assessments and gap analysis to ensure the design, development and delivery of human services related training, with a significant focus on SAMS training and implementation
- Develop tools to evaluate the effectiveness of training/educational initiatives within the division through appropriate metrics and tracking tools
- Identify and define annual priorities for the division to meet the changing needs of staff
- Create, administer, and maintain developmental action plans taking into consideration the relevant legislation and computer software programs
- Deliver staff training programs or coordinate the delivery of the same through the development of internal “knowledge experts” for specialized programs, build relationships with educational institutions and provincial professional associations (OMSSA)
- Investigate, develop, and implement new and innovative approaches (best practices) for staff development and education delivery
- Provide advice and guidance to all levels of divisional management and staff on training and policy issues in the areas of employment and social services
- Research and analyze situations in order to draft the proper communications including policy updates, training schedules and legislative requirements
- Develop, implement and evaluate policies and procedures
- Review and interpret provincial memos/directives/regulations and develop policies and training where required
- Develop, implement and facilitate training sessions on new or revised policies and technology use
- Provide divisional leadership with regards to policy areas which integration and action planning is required to influence changes necessary to improve service delivery
Posting Expires: November 30, 2021
Posting #: SS-491-21
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
- We appreciate all applications however only those selected to advance in the selection process will be contacted. Candidates will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please check your email and voicemail regularly.
- We are committed to providing accommodation throughout the selection process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.