Communications and Member Engagement Specialist (OMSSA)
March 26, 2021
April 9, 2021
Hours of Work:
Full time (35 hours per week)
Salaried position with benefits
About the Ontario Municipal Social Services Association (OMSSA)
The Ontario Municipal Social Services Association (OMSSA) is a non-profit, non-partisan organization whose members are Ontario’s Consolidated Municipal Service Managers (CMSMs) and District Social Services Administration Boards (DSSABs), more commonly known as Service System Managers
. OMSSA’s members oversee systems planning and manage the delivery of critical human services in their communities, including: income supports; community housing services; homelessness services and prevention; and child care, children’s and early years services. By supporting, connecting and advocating for our members across Ontario, OMSSA helps them achieve their collective mission of delivering the best human services outcomes for Ontario’s communities.
The Communications and Member Engagement Specialist is responsible for supporting all areas of the organization through the development and implementation of the Association’s communications and member engagement strategy. As a critical part of a small team, you will act as a key driver and support to the Association’s member and sector engagement, ensuring that OMSSA’s communications reflect and support the needs of its members. This includes promoting OMSSA’s mandate and services to members and other stakeholders, and maintaining OMSSA’s brand with a view to enhancing OMSSA’s reputation, and increasing awareness, access and participation in OMSSA and its services.
Accountabilities and Relationships
Reports directly to the Executive Director. Works closely to support and collaborate with other staff, including the Manager of Education, the Manager of Policy Development and Public Affairs, and the Project and Research Coordinator to ensure linkages and integration between communication and education, research and policy initiatives.
Act as OMSSA’s communications and member engagement lead.
Develop and manage the Association’s annual communications and engagement strategy in a way that is aligned to OMSSA’s strategic plan.
Oversee the organization’s brand identity to ensure a consistent, professional and appropriate visual identity, tone and voice.
Develop, oversee, project manage and implement the Association’s Membership Renewals and Member Retention Strategy.
Maintain, manage and further develop the association’s member management system website and members’ portal, with support from OMSSA’s Administrative Assistant.
Manage, develop and implement communications with members and other stakeholder across all channels, including:
E-Newsletter and email updates to members
Social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube)
Oversee the organization’s media and content monitoring and curation strategy, to support the sharing of relevant news, updates and resources to support our members’ work.
Oversee and project manage the Association’s Awards and Recognitions program, from nominations to promotion and recognition.
Oversee the development of corporate products, such as the annual report, branded materials, and membership retention / recruitment collateral.
Act as the chief editor and designer for all external or member-facing publications and documents.
Working in cooperation with team members, support the development of OMSSA documents and publications including briefings, submissions, presentations, letters, surveys, and scripts / speaking notes.
In cooperation with the Manager of Education and Project and Research Coordinator, develop, oversee and implement marketing strategies to promote awareness and uptake of OMSSA’s training, conferences and events.
Lead the branding, and audio-visual production of digital and in-person events.
Post-secondary degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Public Policy, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Social Services, or equivalent related experience.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in communications, marketing, stakeholder relations and/or project management.
- Demonstrated success leading and managing projects with a high degree of autonomy.
- Experience handling a range of hands-on communications responsibilities, from writing and editing, to graphic design and layout, web editing, email marketing, social media management and event production.
- Experience in the municipal and/or social services sectors will be considered a strong asset.
- Experience in a member-based association will be considered a strong asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Audience-focused communicator with demonstrated ability to quickly understand and adapt to the unique needs and contexts of members and other stakeholders.
- Strong, demonstrated proficiency in writing and editing for multiple formats.
- Confident and competent in leading teams to complete long-term, complex projects.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Strong graphic design and layout abilities for digital and print formats.
- Working knowledge of and experience in email marketing, managing and editing websites, database management, social media.
- Creativity and an eye for design.
- High degree of initiative, judgement, self-reliance, motivation and responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage competing and time-sensitive needs.
Technical and Software Capabilities
- Microsoft Office Suite / Microsoft 365
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Basic HTML and WYSIWYG / Bootstrap web editing capabilities
- Google Analytics
- HTML email marketing platforms (Constant Contact)
- Social media and social media management platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Hootsuite, Buffer)
- Media monitoring platforms (Meltwater)
- Video meeting and events platforms (Cisco Webex, Zoom, Teams)
- Survey Monkey
Work will be performed remotely for the time being. Post-COVID, work will be performed in a hybrid model, partially remote, and partially in a typical office setting. Post-COVID, moderate travel is required in carrying out the duties of this position.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Application for Communications and Member Engagement Specialist: [Your Name]”
in the subject line by no later than Friday, April 9, 2021 at 5 p.m. EST.