OMSSA Calling for Board of Directors Nominations
The Ontario Municipal Social Services Association (OMSSA) is inviting nominations for the Association’s Board of Directors.
Members will be elected to the Board at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Association for a two-year term of office. For the 2019-2021 term, there are four (4) vacancies to be filled on the 10-member Board. This year’s AGM is being held in the District of Thunder Bay on Tuesday, May 14th, 2019.
Skills, Knowledge & Expertise
The Board is seeking nominations that will reflect the diversity of the membership it serves, including: demographic, linguistic, economic, geographic, gender, cultural, ethnic, sectoral i.e. housing and homelessness, children’s services, income security, emergency services and social characteristics of the Consolidated Municipal Service Managers (CMSMs) and District Social Services Administration Boards (DSSABs), as well as communities served by the organization.
The OMSSA Board of Directors will reflect a complimentary mix of skills, knowledge and expertise. The skills, knowledge and expertise that will be considered include, in no specific order, the following:
- Sector / industry specific (human services/municipal/DSSAB) knowledge/experience i.e.
- Housing and Homelessness *(Housing sector experience is preferred)
- Children’s services
- Income security
- Emergency services
- Strategic planning
- Critical thinking
- Business management
- Human resources management
- Government and government relations
- Political acumen
- Risk management
- Financial expertise
- Board and governance
- Public affairs and communications
- Demographic considerations
The Board requires all Board members to:
- Commit and adhere to the vision, mission and core values of the organization;
- Act with honesty and integrity;
- Understand a Director’s role and fiduciary duties, and the role of the Board;
- Think strategically;
- Work as part of a team;
- Communicate effectively;
- Have or commit to acquire, financial literacy appropriate to OMSSA as a non-profit organization and the scope of OMSSA’s activities;
- Be willing to devote the time and effort required to be an effective Board member, including attendance at Board orientation, Board retreats, Board meetings, committee meetings and organization events;
- Be free of conflicts that would impede a Director’s ability to fulfill his or her fiduciary duties;
- Demonstrate ability to recognize and manage specific conflicts of interest that arise from time to time.
Important Dates and Commitments
This year’s Annual General Meeting and Board elections will be held in Thunder Bay, Ontario on Tuesday, May 14, 2019,
during our annual Leadership Symposium.
Nominations may be sent to the OMSSA office via firstname.lastname@example.org
and to the attention of Elaine Baxter-Trahair, OMSSA President, and must include the following:
- Nomination Form
- Application for Membership
- Schedule A Checklist
- A brief biography with key highlights of your work or a current resume
Applications must be received on or before March 20, 2019, exemplifying the experiences and attributes that align with the list of competencies indicated above.
We look forward to and appreciate hearing from those seeking the opportunity to volunteer on behalf of your Association. Should you have any questions, please contact Chantille Davis